This expert has over fifty years experience in the marine industry and has authored Vessel Operations and Safety Manuals for four organizations. He has forty years of experience as Marine Surveyor, Consultant and Marine Appraiser; of which, twenty years is in operation of Inland Tow Boats, Offshore Tug Boats, including ATB’s, Lift Boats, Crew Boats, OSV’s and Passenger Vessels, up to 250 passengers, on inland and near coastal waters.
His experience extends to management of steel, aluminum, wood and FRP ship repairs.
- United States Coast Guard, National Search and Rescue School
- Marine Accident Reconstruction School
Additional Credentials and Licenses
- National Association of Marine Surveyors – Certified Marine Surveyor, National President, 2010-2012
- Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors – SMS/Accredited Marine Surveyor and Charter Member, VP Membership 2007-2008.
- American Society of Appraisers USPAP Course (Renewed 2009)
- Master of Towing Vessels, 200 Ton Power Driven Passenger Vessels, and 100 ton Sailing Vessels on Near Coastal, Inland, and Great Lakes waters, 12th issue
- Tankerman – Grade B & ALG (Retired 10/4/01).
- Reviewer- Gulf Coast Fishing Vessel Safety Manual
- CCSU, Water Pollution Control
- RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD, Marine – Vessel Operations and Safety Consultant, 2010 – present.
- Private company, Houston and Corpus Christi, Texas. Marine Surveyor and Consultant – Perform condition, value, salvage, and damage surveys on tugs, barges, OSV’s dredges, dry-docks, U.S.C.G. inspected passenger vessels, trawlers, motor yachts, and sailing vessels for underwriters, lenders and buyers. Conduct litigation support assignments on personal injury, damage, and fraud investigations for insurers and attorneys. Time has included occasional trips as Master, or Trip Pilot, on tugs, ATB’s, towboats, passenger vessels, and managing dry-dock and repair operations of a Corpus Christi shipyard, and managing operations of two Marine Towing companies. 1967 – Present
- Texas parks and Wildlife Department, Austin, Texas Project Surveyor, Battleship “TEXAS” Restoration Project – Prepared ship for tow to shipyard and trained volunteer crew of line handlers and pump operators. Wrote repair specs. for majority of topside repairs including steel replacement and coating system. Served as “Master” for historical tow. Coordinated dry docking with shipyard dock manager. Supervised crew of marine surveyors/inspectors during major overhaul at Todd Shipyard, Galveston. 1988 – 1989
- Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, Rockport, Texas Marine Supervisor Coastal Fisheries Division – Developed the design, wrote construction specifications, and served as owners’ representative during construction of modern fisheries research vessel. Developed Safety and Operations Manual for Fisheries Division boat operators. Originated training program for boat operators. 1987 – 1988
- Redfish Bay Terminal/Shipyard, Aransas Pass, Texas, Vice President, General Manager - Designed, acquired permits, supervised construction and managed a modern oil support terminal and vessel repair yard on lower Texas Coast. Shipyard performed haul out repairs on vessels up to 170 tons and dockside repairs on larger vessels. Supervised all bids and estimates on steel, aluminum, FRP, and wood vessels. Developed new method of blister repair on FRP boats. Managed a tug and crew boat company during this time, supervising all operations, maintenance, and dry-docking of vessels, also developed Safety and Operations Manuals for these vessels. 1980 – 1986
- Otis Engineering Corp., Middle East Division, Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia – Operations Manager – Supervised operations and maintenance of a six unit fleet of self-propelled Lift Boats and oil field service vessels in the Arabian Gulf. Developed Safety and Operations Manual, instituted modernsafety program, negotiated and supervised all shipyard repairs of vessels, including drydocking, also inspected construction progress of new Lift Boats being built in Singapore. 1975 – 1979
- Swift Ships, Inc., Corpus Christi, Texas, Port Captain – Served as Master and Port Captain of vessels carrying up to 250 passengers, on Inland and Near Coastal Waters. 1971 – 1975
- Relief Captain and Tankerman – Served on Near Coastal and Inland towing vessels while developing Dixieland Marine, Inc. 1961 – 1971.
- Anderson Petroleum Transportation, Houston, Texas, Crew/Captain, Coastwise Tugs – Started as deckhand and became captain of coastwise tugs. (Service interrupted by two years service in U.S. Navy.) 1953 – 1961