Aviation Safety, Accident Investigation and Reconstruction Consultant and has in excess of thirty years of safety experience as a professional pilot, safety engineer/director, and air safety investigator. Holds an Airline Transport Pilot License (ATPL) and a Certified Flight Instructor Certificate (Airplane Single, Multi-engine and Instrument).
He is a licensed Professional Engineer and Certified Safety Professional who specialized in aviation/airline safety, accident investigation and reconstruction, industrial safety, forensic investigation, product safety, system safety, automotive crashworthiness, railroad crossing collision investigations and reconstruction, and airport and aircraft security.
Has provided expert testimony as to his findings in courts of law.
- Completing Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Northcentral University, Business Administration with a specialization in Aeronautical Science Management (Safety) – completed 30 graduate hours in Management, will graduate June 2012.
- Master of Aeronautical Science Degree, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, May 2000. Specialization: aviation, system and industrial safety, risk management, regulatory compliance and human factors as related to the aerospace industry.
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Physics, University of Texas at Austin, August 1983. Curriculum background in electricity and magnetism, wave motion and optics, classical dynamics and electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, thermodynamics, and electronic design techniques; first Minor: Mathematics – background in advanced calculus, differential equations, vector calculus, linear algebra and matrix theory, Fourier analysis and Laplace transforms, Vector and Tensor analysis; second Minor: Engineering. Background in the engineering sciences and computation.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Aeronautical Engineering, Arizona State University, May 1974. Curriculum background theoretical and practical applications in the areas of aerospace structures, aircraft design, aerodynamics, applied thermodynamics and mechanics, propulsion systems, combustion analysis, manufacturing processes, quality standards, aviation and industrial safety, aircraft accident investigation, computer science, and management.
- Advanced Accident Investigation Course, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU)
- Aviation Safety Program Management Course, ERAU
- Human Performance in Aviation Course, ERAU
- Bloodborne Pathogen Training for Aircraft Accident Investigators, FAA-TSI
- Aircraft Accident Investigation Course; National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB)
- System Safety & Reliability Course; University of Washington
- Underwriters Laboratories Plastic/Flammability Seminar
- Product Safety Certification Course; EMXX Inc.
- International Product Safety Seminar; EMACO, Inc.
- Industrial Safety/Hygiene & OSHA Regulation Course; Transamerica Insurance Co.
- Hazardous Waste Operations & Emergency Response; HGL Training Group
- Hazardous Materials Shipping Course; Flying Tigers Airline
- Defensive Driving Instructor’s Course; National Safety Council
- 3-D Driving Instructor’s Course; Hartford Insurance Co.
- First Aid/CPR Instructor’s Course; American Red Cross
- Juran Quality Assurance Course, Fiber Optics & Optical Electronics, Basics of Supervision, LISP Programming, Digital Control Systems, PASCAL, Advanced Finite Elements; Texas Instruments, Inc.
- The President’s Management Course; American Management Association
- Manager’s Leadership Course, Performance Management System; American Airlines
- Airbus A300, Boeing 757/767 & DC-9/MD-80 Training Course, American Airlines Flight Academy
- Boeing 727, 737, & 747 Training Courses; Boeing Commercial Airplane Co.
- Concepts of Fire Investigation Techniques
- ISO-9001:2000 Certified Auditor/Lead Auditor Course
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP), Specializations: Comprehensive Practice & System Safety, Served as a Director and Vice President to BCSP after serving as Secretary-Treasurer
- Licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.), Discipline: Safety Engineering
- Fellow (FRAeS) – Royal Aeronautical Society (U.K.)
- Fellow (FISASI) – International Society of Air Safety Investigators
- Airline Transport Pilot License (ATPL)
- Certified Flight Instructor (Multiengine, Airplane Single, and Instrument)
- Airline Single and Multiengine, Pilot-in-Command
- Instrument Instructor, Turbine
- Multiengine Instructor
- Aviation Safety, Accident Investigation and Reconstruction Consultant, RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD, 2006 – present
- President of private company, Arlington, TX, 2006-present
- Assistant Professor, Southeastern Oklahoma State University. Responsible for instruction of aviation, industrial and system safety, and safety management.
- Assistant Professor, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University- Worldwide, Discipline Chair – Aviation Safety. Responsible for instruction of aviation and industrial safety, aircraft accident investigation, and aviation management courses on undergraduate and graduate level; review of graduate research projects. (Outstanding Faculty Award – 2003 – Fort Worth Center), 2000-present
- Director System Safety, American Airlines, Dallas, TX, and Managing Editor of “AA Flight Safety,” “AA Occupational Safety” and “AA Safety” magazines, 2000-2005
- Corporate Manager of Flight Safety and FOQA, American Airlines, Dallas, TX; Manager FOQA program; Managing Editor of “AA Flight Safety” magazine. Developed Blood-borne Pathogen Training for Accident Investigators, performed in-flight industrial hygiene studies, 1988-2000
- Lead System Safety Engineer/Project Manager, LTV Aerospace & Defense Co., Dallas, TX, 1986-1988
- Flight Training Instructor, Boeing Commercial Airplane Co., Seattle, WA, 1985-1986
- Product Safety Engineering Manager, Texas Instruments, Data Systems Group, Austin, TX, 1984-1985
- Chief Corporate Pilot/Corporate, Director of Safety, Mobley Industries, 1977-1981; Superior Iron Works Co., 1976-1977; and Southwestern Railway Co., 1974-1976
- Captain, United States Air Force, Honorable Discharge
- Member of Educational Advisory Councils for Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU), Florida Institute of Technology, and Arizona State University; Member of Safety Curriculum Committee – ERAU; Member of FAA Safety Management Focus Group
- Publish Internet based daily aviation safety newsletter and quarterly journal, called: “Flight Safety Information,” for over ten (10) years, circulation in excess of 36,000 readers.
- Aviation Technical Advisor to Random Hearts Production, Inc, “Random Hearts” movie, advisement on aircraft accident investigation, accident site, morgue set, costumes, equipment and procedures
Professional Associations and Activities
- Texas Professional Safety Source (TWCC # 1941)
- ISO-9001:2000 Certified Quality Auditor-PA
- Aviation Safety Program Management Certificate, ERAU
- “Who’s Who in Finance & Industry – 1996/1997,” Marquis Who’s Who (MWW).
- “Who’s Who in the World – 1995/1996,” MWW.
- “Who’s Who in America – 1994/1995,” MWW.
- “Who’s Who in Science & Technology – 1993/1994, 2000/2001,” MWW.
- “Who’s Who in the South & Southwest – 1991/1992, 1995/1996,” MWW.
- “Who’s Who in the Environment – 1991/1992,” The Environmental Registry.
- “Who’s Who in the Safety Profession – 1990/1991,” The Center for Safety Education
- Professional Member – American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE)
- International Society of Air Safety Investigators, (Professional Member & ISASI “Fellow”), President – DFW ISASI Chapter, U.S. Councilor & President of the U.S. ISASI Society, Member – Board of Fellows
- System Safety Society (SSS)
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Helicopter International Association (HAI) – Sustaining Member