General and Air Carrier Aviation and Military Operations
Experienced aviation expert with over 25 years of experience as a pilot, instructor, examiner, and operations manager in both air carrier and military operations. He is also a licensed Florida attorney who has worked in insurance defense and understands the pressures of trial preparation and the use of expert witnesses and technical experts in litigation.
He has over 17 years in Part 121 air carrier domestic and international line operations, management, advanced training and FAA regulatory coordination for Delta Air Lines and is skilled in SMS, Human Factors, CRM, safety and standards evaluation. In addition, he is experienced in development of international routes and facilities and has served as an Operations Control Center Flight Operations Manager.
He has 20 years experience in military flight operations, flight training, base management, budget and accounting programs, as well as being experienced in Tactical Operations, Strategic Airlift, and Advanced Jet Training. He is a prior USAF Safety Investigation Board Member, USAF Command Pilot, and Master Instructor.
He is a graduate of the University of Southern California School of Engineering Aviation Safety and Security Program and experienced with current ideas and management approaches to aviation safety and security. He is a trained accident investigator/trial attorney with in-depth knowledge of litigation strategies and expert witness testimony. In addition, he is a certified Aviation Safety and Compliance Auditor familiar with U.S. and foreign regulatory systems.
• Juris Doctorate – Levin College of Law, University of Florida (2008)
Member in Good Standing - Florida Bar - Licensed to practice in Florida Courts
Member - ABA Air and Space Law Section, Lawyer Pilots Bar Association.
• Master of Business Administration – Midwestern State University (1986)
• Bachelor of Science – Business Administration – Cornell University (1977)
Ratings and Certifications
- Airline Transport Pilot – Airplane Multiengine Land B-737 B-757 B-767
- Commercial Privileges - Airplane Single Engine Land
- Aircrew Program Designee/ ATP B-737
- USAF Command Pilot/ Master Instructor
- A-10 Thunderbolt II Mission Pilot
- T-38 Talon Instructor/ Flight Examiner
- A-37 Dragonfly Mission Pilot (A-FAC)
- C-141 Starlifter Aircraft Commander
Additional Education and Training
• USAF Air Command and Staff College
• Marine Command and Staff College
• Joint Air Ground Operations School
• Army Special Airborne School
• USAF Comptroller Finance School
• IBAC IS-BAO Auditor Training Program
• USC Accident Investigation Program
• USC Safety Management Program
• USC Human Factors Program
• USC Aviation Law Program
• USC Technical Witness Program
RTI, Stevensville MD - Air Carrier Aviation and military Operations consultant - 2015 - current
Aviation Consultant/ Attorney – Pensacola, FL (Current)
- Providing contract consulting services for development of Aviation Quality and Safety Management Systems for risk assessment, risk mitigation and operational efficiency.
- Aviation Safety Systems Auditor for commercial and governmental operations.
- Forensic accident investigator providing detailed causal analysis using physical evidence, recorded flight data, human factors data, pilot and aircraft records to identify root cause in support of litigation activities.
- Independent legal practice focusing on FAA regulatory affairs, compliance and enforcement actions.
Chief Operating Officer/ General Counsel – Parcell Laboratories, Inc. – Boston, MA (2011-2014)
- Provided leadership for all aspects of company operations to include management of administrative and technical personnel, operating facilities, quality assurance, accounting, regulatory compliance and legal affairs. Negotiated complex development agreements with U.S. and foreign partners.
- Instituted risk mitigation and quality control strategies for complex and sensitive biologic manufacturing processes.
Attorney/ Special Counsel – Galloway Johnson Tomkins Burr & Smith PLC – Pensacola, FL (2010-2011)
- Insurance Counsel - Maritime, transportation, product liability and general liability defense litigation. Performed investigations, forensic analysis, case development, negotiations and trial practice on behalf of insured parties.
Assistant State Attorney – Florida 8th Judicial Circuit (2008–2009)
- Responsible for all aspects of case management to include investigation, negotiation, litigation and settlement. Highly experienced in witness interviewing and deposition techniques.
Flight Operations Supervisor/ Examiner/ B-767 Captain (Retired) – Delta Air Lines Inc. (1987 – 2004)
- Coordinated air carrier operating policies and procedures for over 10,000 pilots conducting 2400 daily flights worldwide via written guidance, briefings and instructional curriculum development.
- Pilot in Command for B-737, 757, 767 aircraft, B-737 Instructor and Evaluator. Additional 2000 hours as advanced simulator instructor and evaluator in AQP training. Additional experience as a B-727 Flight Engineer, Engineer Instructor and Line Operations Evaluation Check Airman.
- Performed flight instruction and evaluations utilizing advanced simulation devices. Coordinated courseware development for instruction in domestic and international flight procedures. FAA Designated Air Program Evaluator for B-737 type ratings. Performed functional check flights for aircraft airworthiness qualification.
- Member Corporate Strategic Venture Committee for joint venture and acquisition opportunities.
- Performed management assistance training and operational support for foreign airline partners seeking to amend their Operating Certificates and Operations Specifications.
United States Air Force – Lieutenant Colonel (Retired) (1977–1997)
- USAF Command Pilot – A-10 Mission Pilot (Experienced in Attack/Forward Air Control/CSAR); Fighter Electronic Combat Instructor; Unit Weapons Officer for tactical training; A-37 Forward Air Controller; C-141 Aircraft Commander and T-38 Advanced Jet Training Instructor/ Evaluator.
- CSAR Mission Coordinator – A-10 Combat Search and Rescue alert response forces for 4404th Air Expeditionary Wing SWA Theater to provide CSAR support for Allied forces operating over Iraq.
- T-38 Chief of Training Standardization – 80th FTW (AETC) - Euro-Nato Joint Jet Pilot Training. Responsible for instruction, standardization and evaluation of multi-national instructor cadre from eleven countries in advanced jet procedures.
- Comptroller Division - Accounting and Finance Officer – Supervised over 100 civilian and military technicians in base accounting, auditing and management analysis functions.
- Executive Officer - McGuire AFB, N.J. – Base Commander’s representative for airbase projects to include contracting, manpower, facilities and airfield operations.
- Operations Officer – Guyana Peoples Temple Humanitarian Recovery - Fully responsible for work assignments, facilities support, health, welfare and supervision of over 500 military and civilian workers in the recovery and forensic identification of human remains.