This expert is a distinguished graduate of the Air Force Officers Training School. He wrote accident investigation manuals for several countries. Advised corporate and commercial aircraft operators in development of Emergency Response Plans. Taught accident investigation courses for the International Civil Aviation Organization, NTSB, and USC. Supervised more than 200 aircraft accident investigations per year in the northwest US. Instructed mid-air collision and in-flight breakup investigation procedures in the NTSB accident investigation school through classroom lectures and mentoring student examination of wreckage.
Directed a team of specialists in the special study of aviation safety in Alaska, including a review of previous research, surveys, interviews, public forums and a presentation of the report to the NTSB Board. Initiated and ran the ICAO/NTSB Accident Investigation Workshop series in Asia. US Air Force Pilot with flying experience in Europe and the United States. Represented NTSB as an instructor in accident investigation workshops in Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, India, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, China & Germany. Coordinated the initial curriculum and crash laboratory for the NTSB Academy.
- Bachelor of Arts in Physics, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO
- Masters of Arts in Counseling Psychology, Ball State University, Muncie, IN
- Senior Executive Fellow, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
Continuing Education and Training
- Distinguished Graduate of the Air Force Officers Training School
- FAA issued commercial certificate for single and multi-engine airplanes and helicopters
- Certified Flight Instructor
- Type rating in L-382 aircraft
2006 – Present Consultant/ Independent Contractor to NTSB, USC, ICAO and corporate operators
1990 – 2006 Director Northwest Region National Transportation Safety Board