Senior Mechanical Engineer Consultant with experience in experimental solid mechanics, material property testing and related areas of analysis. Professor of mechanical engineering at a prestigious university. Editor and author of many handbooks, journal articles and several conference papers.
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, N.C. State University, 1960
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, N.C. State University, 1961
- Ph.D. Mechanics, The Johns Hopkins University, 1966
- Senior Mechanical Engineer Consultant, experimental solid mechanics and related areas of analysis, RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD 2009 – present
- Decker Professor Emeritus, Mechanical Engineering, John Hopkins University, 2009
- Decker Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 1997 – 2009
- Member of the Principal Professional Staff of the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, 1993 – 2009
- Decker Professor and Chairman, Mechanical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 1991 – 1997
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Scholar, Braunschweig and Freiburg, West Germany, January 1990- June 1990
- National Research Council Associate, NASA-Langley Research Center, Hampton, Virginia, January 1989 – June 1989
- Decker Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 1988 – 1991
- Professor and Chairman, Mechanical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 1983 – 1988
- Professor and Chairman, Mechanical Engineering, Louisiana State University, 1978-1983
- Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor, Metallurgy, Mechanics, and Materials Science, Michigan State University, 1966-1978
- National Research Council Associate, Air Force Materials Laboratory, 1973 – 1974
- Visiting Scientist, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM, winter 1970
- Visiting Scientist, Lawrence Radiation Laboratories, Livermore, CA, summer 1971
Professional Associations and Societies
- Society for Experimental Mechanics. Technical Editor, Experimental Mechanics, 1976 – 1978; Executive Board 1979-1981, and 1983-1987; President, 1984-1985.
- American Society for Engineering Education. Chairman, Instrumentation Division, 1975.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Chairman, Experimental Mechanics Committee, 1989-1991; Associate Technical Editor, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 1990 -1997; Representative to Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, 1992-1997; Committee on Engineering Accreditation, 1992-2002 (Chairman 2000-2001); and Representative to ABET Board of Directors, 2000-2003.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Associate Technical Editor, Journal of Micro-electromechanical Systems, 1998 – 2003.
Pi Tau Sigma; Tau Beta Pi; Midwest Mechanics Seminar Lecturer – 1984;
Best Paper in Volume 105 (1983) of the Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology;
Fellow of ASME – 1985;
Alexander von Humboldt Award – 1989-1990;
Fellow of Society for Experimental Mechanics (SEM) – 1992;
SEM Tatnall Award for Service – 1992;
ASME Nadai Award – 1993;
SEM Frocht Award for Education – 1996;
ASME Dedicated Service Award – 1997;
Southwest Mechanics Seminar Lecturer – 2000;
SEM Lazan Award for original technical contributions – 2001;
SEM Murray Medal for study of mechanical behavior on the microscale – 2002; and
ASEE Ralph Coates Award – 2007.