Environmental Health and Safety Expert
He is a Certified Industrial Hygienist, (M.A., CIH, CHMM, CAC, CDPH), Certified Hazardous Material Manager, and Certified Asbestos/Lead Consultant with over 15 years of experience in industrial hygiene, environmental health and safety evaluations and compliance activities. He has collaborates extensively with several large industrial manufacturing facilities, commercial property management firms, construction firms, state and county government agencies, and school districts. This work has included risk assessments into health and safety hazards in industrial facilities, indoor air quality evaluations of school districts, as well as the development and delivery of lead and asbestos risk management projects for public and commercial projects. He has also conducted industrial hygiene exposure assessments in industrial and commercial environments. He is additionally actively involved in statewide industrial hygiene work, lecturing and consulting in California and Florida on issues of occupational health. He is currently a member of both the American Industrial Hygiene Association, the Alliance of Hazardous Materials Professionals, and the Indoor Air Quality Association. He has served as consultant, facilitator, and project manager to several school districts, industrial manufacturing facilities, commercial property managers, and government agencies.
He has conducted asbestos and lead paint pre-renovation and demolition surveys, lead in soil investigations, mold and moisture intrusion investigations, asbestos/lead/mold abatement and remediation oversight and clearances, provided naturally occurring asbestos (NOA) dust mitigation plans and associated air monitoring, environmental due diligence (Phase I and II ESA), asbestos and lead awareness training, and Noise and Chemical Monitoring.
He has testified as an expert witness in over 20 environmental and industrial hygiene cases.
• Strong knowledge and experience in interpreting, applying and documenting federal, state and local safety, transportation, and environmental regulations.
• Generalist knowledge in Environmental Hazards and Safety disciplines with experience in safety, hazardous materials, environmental compliance and industrial hygiene.
• Experience with emergency response crews in incidents involving hazardous and non-hazardous material releases to air, soil, and water.
• Very knowledgeable about emerging technologies and worldwide regulatory developments that may impact customers and reduce workplace injuries and illnesses.
• Working knowledge of several federal (e.g. OSHA, EPA, DOT), local (e.g. CAL/OSHA, DTSC and CUPA) and other related regulatory agency requirements.
• Certified in comprehensive practice for Industrial Hygiene, Phase I/II Environmental Assessments, 40 Hr. HAZWOPER Certified, (CIH, CAC, CHMM)
• Certified 30 Hr, OSHA General Industry Safety Compliance Training
• Bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural. (Spanish/English), French understanding.
• Has taught over 50 Asbestos, Lead, Mold, Silica Awareness Training.
• Developed Occupational Exposure Assessment, Ionizing Radiation, and Reactive Chemical Online Safety Training Videos for RedVector, Inc.
• University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, Texas, Bachelor of Science, Biological Sciences (Biology Major and Chemistry Minor)
• Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, Master of Agriculture, Fisheries Science
Academic Teaching Activities
• General Asbestos Awareness Courses-2008-Present-Several Clients
• General Lead Awareness Courses-2008-Present-Several Clients
• Confined Space Entry Awareness for Construction, CONCO WEST INC-Dec. 16th, 2017
• Mold Awareness Training, Rotary International, Monterey, November 2014
• Environmental Hazards and the Law, Monterey, September 2011
• Environmental Issues in Real Estate Transactions, November 23, 2014
• Ionizing Radiation, RedVector Training Solutions, Tampa, FL, August 2016
• Unstable and Reactive Chemicals, RedVector Training Solutions, Tampa, FL, August 2016
• Assessing Occupational Exposures, RedVector Training Solutions, Tampa, FL, August 2016
• RTI Group, LLC, Annapolis, MD, Environmental Health and Safety Expert, 2017 to present.
• Private Consulting company, General Manager/Owner, (2002-Present)
Industrial hygiene, safety and environmental projects including indoor air quality, microbial evaluations and assessments, hazardous material investigations, remediation/abatement plans and oversight, water and air quality, worker exposure assessment, regulatory agency compliance, real estate environmental assessments; and construction site specific health & safety plans, training, and on-site monitoring.
o Phase I/II Environmental Site Assessments for several banks and commercial lending institutions.
o Developed and Infection Control Remediation Plan and conducted indoor air quality monitoring at Leemore Naval Air Station during a 6-month renovation of their entire hospital surgical area.
o Conducted an Indoor Air Quality Evaluation at Natividad Medical Center-Emergency Room following fire-related damages.
o Conducted abatement oversight and project monitoring for large scale modernization projects with the National Guard, Salinas Union High School District, Pajaro Valley Unified School District, Soledad Unified School District, Department of Parks and Recreation, and Monterey-Salinas Transit.
o Conducted a LEED Indoor Air Quality Certification project for the new Monterey County Health Dept.
o Conducted a large Microbial and IAQ assessment at the Monterey Bay Aquarium administrative offices in 2010-2011, and the City of Marina in January 2014.
o Conducted a Noise Exposure Assessment for the Cage Wash Areas at Genentech, South San Francisco in July, 2013 and for AARON Metals Scrap Recycling facility in January, 2016.
o Developed at least 10 Site-Specific Health and Safety Plans (SSHASP) for several large soil remediation projects.
o Consulted on IH issues such as mold, indoor air quality, silica, lead, carbon monoxide and heat stress. Consultations included evaluations, control recommendations, program development, auditing, business management and employee training and education.
o Successfully have managed asbestos/lead programs for monitoring and training requirements for County of Monterey, Robert A. Bothman General Engineering Contractor, and Ventana Inn & Spa.
o Conducted a month-long industrial hygiene and indoor air quality risk assessment at Excelligence Learning Corporation in May, 2014-Salinas, CA
o Industrial hygiene and ventilation assessment for styrene exposure at Fineline Industries-boat manufacturing facility in Merced, CA.
o Asbestos and Industrial Hygiene abatement oversight during asbestos abatement activities at Building 19, Naval Air Weapons Station-China Lake, CA- June 2015
o Hazardous waste tank certification at Rossi Aircraft Inc.-Palo Alto Airport, CA-July 2016
o Industrial Hygiene Lead Abatement Oversight-ACT/Genentech-2016
o Industrial Hygiene Lead Abatement Oversight and Noise Monitoring-County of Monterey-Laguna Seca Firing Range.
o Conducted Crystalline Silica Respirable Dust Monitoring at Stanford National Accelerator Laboratory.
o Conducted Respirable Dust and Noise Monitoring for QUANTUMCLEAN, INC.
• ATC Associates, Monterey, California, Environmental Scientist, Registered Environmental Assessor, Site Surveillance Technician, (2000-2002)
Provided environmental and hazardous material assessments for ATC’s Monterey, California office. Responsible for indoor air quality investigations in commercial, governmental, educational, hospitals, and residential buildings for a variety of clients.
Projects included microbial investigations, mold remediation plans, third party oversight, asbestos and lead investigations and support. Phase I Environmental Site Assessments for several banks and commercial lending institutions.
Professional Associations and Activities
• American Industrial Hygiene Association
• Indoor Air Quality Association
• Bay Area Environmental Safety Group (BAESG)
• Alliance of Hazardous Materials Management – Northern California
• Member-Northern California American Industrial Hygiene Association
Registrations and Training
• 30-hour OSHA General Industry Health and Safety Compliance Training
• American Board of Industrial Hygiene-Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
• Institute of Hazardous Material Management-Certified Hazardous Material Manager (CHMM)
• State of California Certified Asbestos Consultant # 04-3554
• California Department of Public Health Lead Inspector/Assessor#15393
• Confined Space Entry Supervisor Training
• 40 HR HAZWOPER Certified (OSHA)